Friday, March 5, 2010

The lull between the Olympics and Paralympics

Yes I am still here in Vancouver, I just have not been doing much of exciting, so I haven't written any blog entries. This is what I did over the past week;

Monday; went to PAC (Pacific coliseum; all the Olympic venues have 3 letter acronyms, my favourite is the Richmond Olympic oval nicknamed ROO) to get my paralympic accreditation and my jacket conversion kit. They give you this big panel that snaps on to the back of your jacket with the Paralympic logo (named Agitos) and also a smaller badge type thing that velcro's on to the front of your jacket. Then I walked around downtown a bit, just to see the difference in the level of energy in town between today and Sunday. It was kinda eerie with hardly anyone around, the streets have cars instead of people in red and white, there are no huge line ups to be seen, and maintenance crews are taking down security barricades and fences and banners.

Tuesday; I spent most of the day getting my Brownie meeting ready. We were having a Thinking Day celebration meeting (celebrating the founding of Girl Guides and Boy Scouts, this year Guiding is 100yrs old!) and we were inviting parents to come to the meeting. During the meeting our Brownies ''travelled'' to the 4 world centres (India, Mexico, England and Switzerland) and did an activity at each centre. At the end we also had international snacks the girls brought lots of neat stuff; spanikopita, ingera (kinda like an Ethiopian pancake), dumplings, black forest cake, welsh cakes, etc. It was a fun meeting.

Wednesday; Since the weather was so nice I went out for a walk to the beaches; Jericho and Locarno. It was nice to visit the beaches since I hadn't been since before the Olympics. As I walked I admired the beautiful cherry trees in flower as well as the magnolia trees, they are gorgeous. I love walking down the street (or a path) and all of a sudden smelling the beautiful flowers.

Thursday; I first headed to the Greyhound station to buy a ticket to go skiing at Whistler for a day (next week). I figured I couldn't live in BC for 7 months and not spend at least 1 day skiing in the Rockies! Now I have to keep my fingers crossed that my day of skiing will have decent weather. I then went over to Robson square to get some paralympic tickets. They are so reasonably priced! But I had to carefully decide what to see based on days I am not volunteering. The paralympics last a week and it will be a very busy week! I am going to see a Wheelchair curling game on the 15th and a sledge hockey game on the 17th I cant wait to be a spectator for a change! Then I went walking along the sea wall facing Coal Harbour, it was sad to see the Olympic cauldron unlit. Then into Stanley park to see if there are any cool new birds (yes I am a bird nerd), there were some Goldeneyes, herons, horned grebes, crows(of course!), chickadees, swans, coots, 1 wood duck and tons of mallards. On my way back to my place I stopped at a Starbucks to rest my legs and get a beverage as well as enjoy the gorgeous sunshine!

No comments:

Post a Comment