Monday, February 22, 2010

21st of Feb; Nunavut Day

Hmmm... so I don't remember what I did yesterday morning! After a while the days all start to run into one. Oh yeah, I went to get some fruit and return library books and watch some skating, exciting times.

Then off to volunteering, of course I decide to walk to avoid the crazy packed buses and enjoy the gorgeous sunshine. As you walk down the street you often pass fragrant patches filled with the aroma of cherry blossoms and other flowers. I arrived for my shift and got a ''yellow D'' meaning I was part of Switzerland, inside once again, yipee!

I got assigned to usher for section 145 which is temporary chairs on the floor, close to the action but on the right hand side of the stage. I went and ate my supper early at 4:30 (just when the crowd starts coming in slowly) so that I would be able to watch most of the happenings.

The Original dance was happening when I came back to the stadium, but I managed to find a suite that was playing the competition and if I took a specific position I could watch (though it was really hard to tell who was skating and how they did). And I did have to seat lots of people. They also made a bunch of mistakes when issuing the tickets and gave people seats that don't exist, which means unhappy people that need to be sent to information to get their tickets re-issued.

For the Nunavut presentation, they told a story about the Inuit and demonstrated a bunch of games that are done at the arctic winter games which was really cool, did some throat singing and some drumming.

There were 8 medal presentations, which is a lot, so they alternated between medals in Vancouver and the live video broadcasted ceremonies from Whistler. I got to see 1 live but then got shifted out to an access point (definition; place where only specially accredited people are allowed to go) for a while, which is okay because it is only fair to rotate that position since that person doesn't end up seeing much. It surprises me how many people arrive late for the victory ceremonies and miss most of it!

I got back to my position in section 145 just as the concert was about to start. Tonight was Trooper followed by Loverboy, 2 bands that I didn't know of (though I did recognize Raise a little Hell from Trooper, the last song they did), but even if I didn't know them I still quite enjoyed the concert and so did most of the crowd. Many people lease early from the concerts meaning a less than full stadium, but tonight most stayed. The only downside to the concert was the noise volume, boy was it ever loud, too bad I forgot my ear plugs last night. Because of all the medal ceremonies and the 2 bands, it meant a pretty late concert, but once I got out to my bus stop I managed to catch a bus (with a spot to sit down!) which was great, because at the volunteer shifts you walk and stand alot.

No comments:

Post a Comment