Sunday, February 28, 2010

Feb 27th; Day off

So today there is no victory ceremony because they are busy transforming BC stadium for the closing ceremonies. I start the day off with some skating at the Kits skating club. Then head home for some online chatting with my parents. Online chatting is wonderful, it is a great way to keep in touch with home. Then I decided to head downtown to absorb some more olympic spirit. It was kind of rainy so I thought the crowds might be a little smaller, nope they weren't! I started my walk-about heading past the Cheerios cheer wall, the line for free Cheerios was a bit too long so I skipped that. Then a walk past LiveCity Downtown, I was going to possibly head in to get a free special pin for volunteers, but the line was about 30mins long and the pavilion will be open during the paralympics, so I will head back later.

Then I headed over to gas town to see if any good deals could be had on Olympic gear, some stuff on sale (and lots of people shopping!). At London Drugs they had lots of stuff on sale, but mostly stuffed animals and I already have my Quatchi and Miga (and am hopping a Sumi is one of the perks for paralympic volunteers!). Then I headed down Robson street, the streets were so packed! You basically lined up with a huge crowd every time you wanted to cross the street, madness! I stopped by the stage used by CTV to broadcast, which is on Robson St. There too there were tons of people, all in red and wearing their maple leafs on their faces.

I then headed home to watch the parade of champions, a show with the top 4 skaters from each discipline performing a show number. It was a great show. Joannie skated to Vole from Céline Dion as a tribute to her mother, it was a beautiful performance. Patrick Chan skated to Yesterday, and showed how intricate you can be with skates. Virtue and Moir did their ''Everybody dance now'' number with the prima ballerina and hockey player. Scott Moir is one of the medallists that has shown the most exuberance and shear joy having won his medal, you cant help but start grinning when you see him.

My evening finished off with watching Olympic events on the internet. It was a great day in terms of medal haul for Canada.

Today is the closing ceremonies and my last Olympic volunteer shift. It is hard to believe the games will be over in a few hours. I wont stop writing this blog since the paralympics are about to start. Monday I pick up my new accreditation and jacket conversion kit so I am ready for my shifts. I will also do a few more entries on the Olympics and my favorite moments, things I haven't had the chance to write about yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment