Thursday, February 18, 2010

Olympic random stuff

Our medal count so far;
Gold; Maelle Ricker, ladies Snowboard cross
Gold; Alexandre Bilodeau; men's moguls
Silver; Marianne St-Gelais; short track speed skating, ladies 500m
Silver; Mike Robertson; men's snowboard cross
Silver; Jennifer Heil; ladies moguls
Bronze; Kristina Groves; Ladies 3000m (from Ottawa!)

Link
A cool article my dad found on Olympic volunteers; http://edition.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/02/16/olympic.volunteers/index.html
It is quite amazing to be a volunteer part of such a large event. Would I do it again (even though it isnt over yet!) I think I would, but I would definatly make sure I was doing Figure Skating!

If I was independently wealthy (someone asked me this when chatting with him I mentioned that I was from Ottawa and in Vancouver ''to volunteer at the olympics''! I answered that the reason I got here in September was to have a job to pay for the volunteering, it didn't work out exactly as planned, but I did make some money to help pay off part of this experience!) I would just travel the world to be at different olympics. Too bad money can be such an obstacle!

Have any questions about the Olympics; http://www.vancouver2010.com/ can anwser any questions you have!

I am realizing that the olympics are about so much more than sports. They start with sports but then expand to include art, culture, international relations and learning. You met people from all over the world while waiting in various lines and always have something in common with them, you are all part of the olympics, an amazing event! When you are a ''smurf'' or volunteer wearing their outfit just walking around town, you get asked lots of questions, I am getting pretty good and have started carrying a small map with me to make it easier to give directions out!

Just to let you know, you can leave comments on this blog, let me know if you have anything you are wondering about the Olympics or Vancouver and I can try to find the awnsers for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment