Wednesday, February 24, 2010

23rd of Feb; Saskatchewan day!

Today the sun is not out, it has been a marvellous stretch of gorgeous weather recently, definitely not typical Vancouver winter weather. Since it wasn't raining yet this morning I headed out to hit a few more houses. I went out to LiveCity Downtown that contains the Canada and Manitoba pavilion. I stopped by the CBC building to see what was going on cause they do live tapping outside, so I listened to the end of an interview with Sean Cullen. The wait to get into LiveCity was about 30mins, though once inside there were no lines.

The Canada pavilion had a few exhibits on the history of different sporting equipment and some games on winter sports as well as some movies on great Canadian sporting moments. They also had a torch and some mounties you could take pictures with. Then I went over to the Manitoba pavilion. If you read stuff in the exhibit and told 3 facts on Manitoba to the guides in the pavilion you could get a polar bear and a Manitoba pin, yipee! They also had an exhibit on the future Human Rights museum, being built at the Forks in Winnipeg, it will be a stunning building. They also had some large screens showing the Olympics. I then headed over to concord plaza to see the Saskatchewan pavilion. They talked about the province and its main industries; had samples of rocks and pulses (different lentils) as well as showed off some of their canola oil. Then I headed off to Robson Square to see what was going on. I took a seat in a covered area since it was raining and started eating my lunch, then guess who shows up! Our newest Canadian medallists, Virtue & Moir with their gold medals. They stand in front of the large crowd and say thank-you to everyone and we all stand and cheer for them, then they disappear surrounded by a bunch of police men. That is one of the important things about the Olympics, being at the right place at the right time. After that there was a show from a Vancouver Circus group with unicycles, mini-tramps and other circus-ry.

Then I headed to a Starbucks to warm up and dry off a bit before my shift, because I might end up outside. I end up chatting with another stadium volunteer from Victoria as I sipped my hot chocolate. Then we headed to our shifts. This time we are divided by our first names and I end up in Venice, Italy, inside on the 4th floor which is nice considering the rain outside. I end up on elevator duty with Jayme. We guard the doors to the elevator with our lives making sure only people in wheel chairs, with strollers or people with accessibility problems (canes, crutches, etc) take the elevator. The call up button on the elevator doesn't work though so we need to call the elevator (Sochi 11) up by walky-talky, We do well and get complimented by our Super Italy (supervisor) on our awesome job in maintaining the only accessible elevator to the 4th floor. It does seem kinda crazy to only have 1 elevator, but the building does have ramps everywhere and there is another elevator, but it only leads to press areas, requiring special accreditation. It means we cant watch most of the Billy Talent concert, but I don't really mind, we do take turns guarding and watching though and it is nice to have someone to chat with and not be totally alone.

After the end of my shift, I head to Robson square to see their ''Ignite the dream'' night time show. They have some fireworks, spotlights, big flames and projections on nearby buildings as well as various zip-lining characters (snowboarded, skier and hockey player), a neat show. Then I head over to the Cauldron to take a few pictures there at night.

Once I get home I can finally see what happened in the woman's short program. I am very happy for Joannie Rochette who skated extremely well, it must have been extremely difficult for her to skate her program. Hopefully tomorrow's long will go just as well. I am sending all my positive thoughts her way. The last place woman's short did I program I could have done, ie landed jumps I can do, poor her, yeah me!

1 comment:

  1. What an amazing performance by Rochette in spite of tragic circumstances. Even if she doesn’t win a medal for her performance, Rochette deserves a gold medal for persevering through an extremely difficult time. This story makes me want to watch her in figure skating just to see how she does.

    ReplyDelete